The 89th Academy Awards that took place on the 26th February at the Dolby Theatre, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California was a globally streamed affair and a much awaited one.
Jimmy Kimmel hosted the edition of Oscars and it was as you’d expect it to be, entertaining and funny.
The event was also filled with lots and lots of entertaining speeches. The event went by smoothly, but it was not until the end when the worst came by.
Yes, we’re talking about the cringeworthy, shocking blunder that the Best movie winner announcement was. It took us back to the Miss Universe pageant winner announcement of 2015. While millions of fans rejoiced as their favourite movie, La La Land won the much-coveted award, the happiness was short-lived as the announcer quickly went ahead to correct his mistake and said the award went to Moonlight, instead.
Keeping that aside, the Oscars were a treat to watch as they are each year.
Take a look at the complete list of winners below –
- Best picture- Moonlight
- Best actress- Emma Stone – La La Land
- Best actor- Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea
- Best supporting actress- Viola Davis – Fences
- Best supporting actor- Mahershala Ali – Moonlight
- Best director- La La Land – Damien Chazelle
- Best original screenplay- Manchester by the Sea – Kenneth Lonergan
- Best adapted screenplay- Moonlight – Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney
- Best original score- La La Land – Justin Hurwitz
- Best original song- La La Land – City of Stars by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- Best cinematography- La La Land – Linus Sandgren
- Best foreign language film- The Salesman – Iran
- Best costume design- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – Colleen Atwood
- Best make-up and hairstyling- Suicide Squad – Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and
- Best documentary feature- OJ: Made in America
- Best sound editing- Arrival – Sylvain Bellemare
- Best sound mixing- Hacksaw Ridge – Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and
- Best animated short- Piper – Alan Barillaro and Marc Sondheimer
- Best animated feature- Zootopia
- Best production design- La La Land – David Wasco and Sandy Reynolds-Wasco
- Best visual effects- The Jungle Book – Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R Jones and Dan
- Best film editing- Hacksaw Ridge – John Gilbert
- Best documentary short- The White Helmets – Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara
- Best live action short- Sing – Kristof Deak and Anna Udvardy